And cold, oh my it was cold for a week or more. Down to -26 degree C during night.
Had -3 degree C in the workshop, was not tempting to get any thing done there.
Luckily I have small fire stoves in my two small workshops in the house, and by keeping a steady flow of firewood into them I managed to get some done.
Restored the WL stroker motor carburetor, its built from a Linkert M74B, a Panhead carb that is. I like working with the old Scheblers and Linkerts, they are maybe not the best of carburetors, but they are so sexy, yes sexy as any carburetor might ever be.
Carb is fitted to the special manifold made by Vegard. Peek manifold seals in the white box. Cant wait to fit the manifold to the cylinders and pressure test. Pressure test tool for Linkert manifolds seen to the right of the carb. Made a aluminum jig wich I fit to the carb when working on it, makes it more convenient to locate on the bench or in the vice.
OK, OK, could not resist making a photo of the Schebler DLX special built for the cutdown motor.
Three specials, Linkert in the middle and two different Schebler DLX`s on the sides.
Got a pair of STD bore 61" Knuckle pistons from Matt Walksler for my cutdown motor, thanks a lot Matt.
Had to bring four cylinders in need of heat resistant paint down to the steam train guys ( they have a 100KW oil burner keeping the entire locomotive stall above 20 degrees all time) to get some decent temp for painting. Turned out well, but my nostrils and my throat was black for two days after.
The later style J & JD cylinders have 18mm spark plugs.
Problem is there are no spark plugs this size available today (not that I have found) that is long enough to get the spark into the head as supposed to. I sacrificed a couple of old 18mm Defiance spark plugs to make adapter for 14mm plugs with long neck, this move the ignition 1/4" further into the head.
When done the 14mm plug and adapter looks as the old style spark plugs that could be disassembled and overhauled.
You might remember I rebuilt a 50ìes Panhead handlebar with springer style ends. OK, got it back from the painter and fitted control cables and switches with wiring. Looks good when fitted in the 3" risers and the offset triple clamp (that I found at the Davenport meet in a bucket filled with Thriump parts).
Legg inn en kommentar